If you are a long time follower of our Instagram account you’ve probably noticed that we have a slight obsession with taking #shelfies. We love how these otherwise bare vignettes offer the perfect way to express personal décor style, and showcase our favorite items. Shelf styling is such a beautiful storage friendly way to add color, texture and interest to a space. Here are our top tips to create that perfect #shelfie:
- Stacks on stacks. Most things look better stacked. Show off beautiful spines by displaying them in a stack or vertically. When stacked books also make a great platform for other pieces, such as bowls and vases.
- Remember the 1:1 Ratio: For every stack of books, add a decorative accent. This is the best way to break up the ‘boxy library look’.
- Add a backdrop: Floating shelves, look incredibly dramatic when placed on a wallpapered wall.
- Hide the clutter: Any small object that isn’t sculptural should be organized in some container or another.
- Breathing room: You don’t have to fill every space. We like to group items together and leave some negative space to create a sense of balance in the overall arrangement.
- Keep it together: with pretty bookends.
- When in doubt add fresh flowers.
- Color me pretty: If you’re overwhelmed with the task of styling, think of arranging objects by color rather than subject. This is a great way to give you focus.
- Consider some art work: A framed print is an instant shelf filler, and adds just the right does of character.